Friday, December 28, 2012

New York City Day 1!!

 I am just finding the "draft" of a post that was written in April and it is now December and of course I have forgotten all of the fun details of the rest of the trip.  Hopefully it will come back to me but for now I guess this is all you get!

This trip was one that I will NEVER forget..but just in case I do, I want to do a post about it, or 3!

Wednesday morning Holly and I woke up at 4:10 a.m. to go get our workout done before we had to get packing, cleaning and all of that fun stuff.  We dropped our kids off at Mama Jex's at about 7 p.m. so we could head up to SLC for our RED EYE flight :/  We boarded the plane at about 11:30 p.m. and arrived at JFK airport at 5:30 a.m.  Needless to say none of us got any sleep, heaven knows we tried but the weather was bad and the flight was HORRIBLE!!  I was certain that we were going to die and all I could think of was how selfish I was to leave my kids to run a marathon and that I would never see them again.  I know you think I am exaggerating but it was honestly the scariest flight I've ever been on.

We grabbed a cab and had him take us into Manhattan...where we took a bus...to a subway... to an air tram...to a shuttle and viola 3 hours later we got to our hotel :)

All I could think was what on earth have we gotten ourselves into.  We got showered up, took about a 15 minute nap and we were off!  So that's 15 minutes of sleep between Wednesday and Thursday, just for anyone keeping track.  We got to Manhattan and wandered all over the town, we probably walked somewhere between 8-15 miles.  We decided that if we took the subways we would miss too much so we walked and walked and walked and walked.  We saw Times Square, Trump Tower and lots of other stuff making our way to Central Park.  We then walked back to where we started and headed back to our hotel in Newark.

This was in Trump Tower!
Angry Bird comin' at ya!
We had some fun in FAO Schwartz


Friday morning Holly and I woke up and headed down to the hotel gym for a lovely walk on an incline and some core work.  We walked 4 miles and laughed hysterically at Ridiculousness on MTV...so FUNNY!!!!  We got ready for the day and headed out for another adventurous day in New York.  We started near Times Square again and headed towards the Statue of Liberty.  We saw lots of fancy cars, we had to take pictures for Kobe who is obsessed with cars.
Do you like my new ride?  I wish!!

From this point on I am just trying to remember what went down 8 months later so it's a little fuzzy!
We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge so we could eat at Ghrimaldi's.  Ghrimaldi's was the best pizza EVER!
Holly had an adventure buying a bag from a suspicious fella' in the alley ;)
We made our way up by Central Park, we walked all the live long day.
We tracked ourselves on this fine day and we walked over 20 miles not including the treadmill fun that Holly and I had. 
The next day we rented a car and drove to Boston, why didn't anyone tell us it was so far away ;)  We went straight to the race expo and walked around for a bit.
We went to a Red Sox game which was really fun even though we didn't really have seats, we had standing room.  It was amazing to see Fenway Park!

Race day was pretty much race, walk around Boston with our good buddy Cameron and that's about all I remember!
Tuesday we walked around Boston for a little bit and then had to drive back to New York to catch our flight home.  We walked up to our gate to see Cameron sitting there along with a whole bunch of other Boston runners.  The flight home was the most miserable thing I've ever experienced.  My legs hurt soooo bad, if you've run a marathon before you can imagine the pain of sitting on a plane the day after a marathon for 6 hours.  I wanted to jump out the window, seriously!!!
This was truly a trip of a life time.  I had so much fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment