Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Runner's Unite!

"If you're trying to defeat the human spirit, marathoners are the wrong group to target."Mighty Brighties
 
I want to do a post but don't really know what to say.
Yesterday I thought about my Boston experience all day. I thought about what a wonderful trip we had.
You can read my Boston post HERE!
We went to Fenway Park which was awesome!
We found the Athletes' Village the night before the race and had some fun.
I think Holly was telling me to bow to her...so I did, I'm very obedient!
Here we are after 26.2 very HOT and quite miserable miles.  I'll take it though.  It was a great experience that I will never forget.

  Yesterday I couldn't wait to get home from work to read everyone's FB updates and blog posts.  Then I got a text from Jake telling me what had happened.  The remainder of the day I got Facebook messages, text messages and phone calls from people saying how glad they were that I wasn't running it this year.  To say that I felt loved would be a bit of an understatement.  To say that I felt honored that people associate me with the Boston Marathon would be a HUGE understatement.
It's so sad that there is so much evil in the world.  As soon as I heard what happened yesterday all I could think, was why on earth would anyone want to hurt runners?  We are pretty much the jolliest, nicest people around.  In most cases, you see another runner and you either smile or say hello.  You may even try to give each other a high five, just like the dude flying down the canyon on Saturday tried to do to me.  I didn't dare give him five for fear that I would end up in the river...the dude was FLYING!  I did give him a fine smile though :)
I then realized that people kill innocent children while they are at school, innocent people sitting in a movie theater and innocent people shopping at the mall.  It's pretty sad that we really aren't safe anywhere.  I never would have even thought to be scared at a race.
Last year Jake and Jorge were standing under all of the flags which is where the first bomb went off.  As soon as I watched the video and saw where it happened I started to cry.  I can't imagine the fear that everyone felt.  To go from being over joyed to have just finished the Boston Marathon to pure terror. 
 
Who knows why on earth someone decided to target a marathon.  But if their intent was to scare people from doing races they have failed miserably.  Runner's are uniting together more than ever!
I am running the Salt Lake City Half Marathon on Saturday.  Is there a tiny bit of fear?  If I said no I would be lying, but guess what?  Life goes on, we can't live in fear and we certainly can't let some psycho win.
My prayers go out to all those affected by this horrible act of terrorism.
Koko and I wore our race shirts today!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment