Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Running Has Done For Me!

I've been thinking a lot lately about how running has changed my life.  First of all, it got me my job at 26.2 Running Co.  Did they hire me because I am ridiculously fast?  NO!!  The fact that I am a runner probably didn't have a whole lot to do with them hiring me.  However, had I not been a runner why in the world would I want to work at a running store?  I have acquired A LOT of new responsibilities at work over the past month or so and I ABSOLUTELY love working there.  I love the environment and the people.  Not only do I get to talk to other adults all day but I get to talk about running.  What could be better?  For years Jake wondered why I never told him anything.  Well, for starters I had nothing to say.  I didn't really think he cared that I cleaned the house all day and changed 12 diapers.  I KNEW he didn't care about my workout, he doesn't love the fact that I am a workout FREAK.  I feel like I have a purpose again and I actually have something to talk to Jake about.  The ol' shoe shop can be quite entertaining!!  When my youngest started 1st grade I had a VERY hard time, everything I had known for the past 9 years changed.  I felt like no one needed me...I was a lost, lonely, little lamb.

I have met or gotten close to some of my best friends through running.  Running with someone for hours gives you a lot of time to talk and get to know each other.  I had "known" Niccole for a few years but didn't really get to know her until we started running together.  Holly and I got to know each other during the Utah Valley Marathon 2010.  The bond that running can create is amazing.  There is nothing better than having someone there to help you through a long, hard run and vice versa.  And no matter where you are running, whether it be in a race or just down the street, other runners love to talk!  Runner's must be some of the nicest people around.  I have always been an extremely shy person who would never just run up to someone and say "Yes!  I finally caught you!"  Yet, that's exactly what I did at my last marathon.  When I tell people that story they can't believe that I actually said that to the dude.  But guess what?  He didn't care, he gave me a big ol' smile and said he was coming to get me.

As a runner injuries are bound to happen and having someone to talk to who understands is vital.  When I was injured I would cry to Jake and he just didn't get it, "so don't run, who cares?"  He didn't understand that telling me not to run was like me telling him not to breathe.  Runner's get it!!  My boss was telling me how he ran up to Bridal Veil Falls a few weeks ago and when he was done he jumped into the cold river.  I said "Oh, that sounds fun!"  Although I was totally joking...I don't think he thought I was ;)  He said, "Runner's get it!"  Although, I was kidding I knew why he wanted to jump into that river.  Not only would it feel awesome after a hot run but it would act as an ice bath.  Non-runners DO NOT get why on earth someone would take an ice bath.  As runner's we do a lot of strange things that people just don't get.  Every Thanksgiving I do a LOOONG run and I love it!  My family thinks that I am CrAzY!!!!  I run on vacation and again my family thinks that I am crazy.  I don't run for weight loss, I run because I love it!  People wonder why I can't take a day off once in a while, why would I want to.  Why don't people want to take a day off of having fun once in a while?  I do take Sundays off, they weren't meant to be fun anyways ;) I'm totally joking!!  
And last but not least running has given me my sanity!  Being a working mom is HARD!  I never feel like I am getting everything done.  I am having to let things go that I DO NOT want to.  But every morning as I am working out and running, I appreciate it all the more.  That is "my" time and no one can take it from me.  For me running is the only thing that is keeping me somewhat sane right now!  Thank you running :)

I don't know what made me think up all of this non-sense.  But I also have to share how excited I am that I got into the Boston Marathon!  It finally hit me yesterday.  I was running along when The Black Eyed Peas started singing to me.  "Keep on reaching for your dreams, cause it ain't crazy as it seems!"  The song is called "Own it" and that is exactly what I am doing with this marathon.  "Go out and own it!"  Growing up I didn't really do a whole lot, I didn't do sports or run or much of anything.  I studied a lot and got good grades but I NEVER felt like I was good at anything.  Do I think I am a good or fast runner?  NO!!!  People tell me I am fast but I don't believe them.  All I see is how many people are better or faster than me.  But I realized that there will always be someone better or faster than me and it really doesn't matter.  I got into the most famous marathon out there and I am going to Boston.   
 I am actually shocked that we are going to Boston.  I really just wanted to qualify, I honestly didn't think that I would RUN the Boston Marathon!  The thing that I am most excited about is that I plan on enjoying this marathon, no PR for me during this one.  I want to soak up every last bit of it, not be miserable.  I would love to run with my camera, so what if people think that I am crazysauce?

What has running done for you?

Am I alone or do you think runner's are AWESOME?

2 comments:

  1. Such an awesome post Steph! I can completely relate. I was so lost before I started running. I had no friends, worked stressed me out like crazy and my life was so far out of balance. Running has helped me in so so many ways. It really isn't about speed or getting faster but more about enjoying the moment. Thanks for sharing this I really needed it.

    And yes how freaking surreal is it that we are actually going to Boston!! I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those races where my only goal is to have fun are always the best.

    Definitely take the camera! I take mine for all marathons. Getting some great race souveniers is worth getting a few crazy looks.

    ReplyDelete