Friday, July 25, 2014

Saved By Sprinklers

This fine Friday morning started off with a very difficult 19 miler.  I realized this week that Holly and I should probably start training for the Top of Utah Marathon which is on September 20th.  9 weeks of training is enough right?  Okay, so we always run but we have not done a long run any further than 13 miles since our last marathon on June 1st.  
My ankle hasn't been my best friend lately and makes me go slower than I'd like, so I haven't really had the desire to go super far.  We decided that we would try the 19 miles and see how we felt.  I am already registered for the race but Holly is not, I didn't want her to pay for an entry if we weren't going to be ready for it.  My entry was free so if I had to back out I would be sad but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
We decided to join Jorge, Josh, Joanna, Heather and Pam on their 14 miler and then add on to get our 19.  Joanna's husband drove us up the right hand fork of Hobble Creek Canyon and we were off.  Today was one of those days where I felt like I didn't know how to run, I felt like my form was weird and I couldn't get into it.  I tried to go a bit slower because running downhill aggravates my ankle.  Going slow is great and all but it can sure get in your head, especially since running slower for the past 2 months has affected my fitness.  A pace that used to be super easy for me is now not so easy.  I was being very hard on myself so this run wasn't only hard physically but mentally as well.
Luckily I had some amazing views and friends to help me GET OUTTA MY MIND. 
Pam and I were trying to get close enough to get a picture but we kind of crashed and apparently I found it hilarious.  By the way, Pam is amazing and is my hero! 
Group shot!  Although we all ran at our own pace it was fun to see everyone...even if they were quite a ways in front of us.  Jorge decided to continue on with Holly and I for the full 19 miles.
I saw this on Hungry Runner Girl and LOVED it!  
I had been praying for sprinklers for a few miles and finally found some at Springville High, we had a great time running through them. 
Yeah Buddy...I'm a dork!
By the time we were done playing we were all soaking wet and feeling refreshed.  It's amazing how much better I felt after cooling down...it gave me the energy I needed to finish, rather than lay down and DIE! 
It's a good thing we found some neighbor kids to take a sweet shot of us. 
Pro Compression selfie.  Lots of tall socks and some shorties, I'm still trying to get rid of my tall sock tan line from Ragnar :) 
19 miles done and done!  I was actually pleasantly surprised by our overall pace, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. 
Jorge gave me this beautiful cupcake which I knew was at home waiting for me, it may or may not have been the only reason I finished...it was delicious!  Thanks Jorge
It's amazing to me what our bodies are capable of.  I felt like crap from the beginning but somehow I managed to finish 19 stinking miles.  I can't wait for next weeks 20 miler :/

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try the compression socks but I haven't done it yet. Currently training for the St. George marathon this October.

    ReplyDelete