Saturday, November 5, 2011

Food is Fuel!

Let me just start by saying that Halloween has done a number on me. 

Here we are with the Garcia's after trick or treating.  This is the day that started my downward spiral ;)

For some crazy reason I have had ZERO self-control this week.  I am usually pretty good at choosing healthy foods that will fuel my body to perform the way that I want it to.  This week I caved into temptation with candy that normally wouldn't tempt me AT ALL!!  The problem is that I go to work all day and barely eat anything and by the time I get home I am a ravenous beast.  The candy has been in my face, as my kids can't put anything away, and it's quick and easy.  I have been replacing my meals with candy, cookies, donuts and pretty much any garbage I could stuff into my pie hole.  I would eat crap and then feel guilty about it so I wouldn't really eat dinner, I would make a smoothie, this post has the recipe, and call it good.  I went to the gym every morning and weighed myself and when I wouldn't gain weight I continued to feed myself garbage.

I honestly felt like crap the whole week, my workouts suffered and I felt bad about myself.  Although my weight didn't go up I felt like a fat cow.  Last night as I was conditioning the older gymnasts one of the girls asked me if I "diet."  I told her that I never diet but that I try to make healthy choices, I then explained that I had not made such good choices this past week.  She said, "who has??"  I realize that it's completely normal to cave into temptation sometimes but we MUST have moderation in all things.  That is what I haven't done this week.  I usually don't deprive myself if I am really craving something but I try to keep it under control.

We must use food as fuel.  I have noticed that when I make healthy choices and eat right that I have a lot more energy throughout the day.  I am amazed that I have the energy that I do when I usually only get 6 and a half hours of sleep.  This week however, I had very little energy.  My workouts were not good, I almost feel asleep in spin class on Wednesday for heaven's sake :)  I took a nap which I rarely do and have been a bit of a slug all week.  Throughout the week it didn't really hit me as to why I felt so fatigued.  This morning as I was struggling through my 14 mile run I realized that what I had been putting into my body was causing me to feel this way.  I guess the old saying is true: "You are what you eat."  When I eat good, healthy foods I feel good but when I eat CRAP I feel like crap!!

It's important to fuel our bodies with whole grains, protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats.  I try to stay away from sugar and anything white as much as possible.  There are some great treats out there that are sugar free, but be careful because there are also some out there that will do a number on your gut ;)  But that is a story for another time...or not!!  Some of my favorite sugar free treats are Jello, Jello pudding, Sugar Free Stephen's Hot Chocolate and I have a chocolate, banana, peanut butter smoothie that is quite delicious.  I buy the Adam's all natural peanut butter so there is no added sugar and it is FABULOUS!!!  If you are like me and you like to have something sweet after dinner try fruit, it seems to work for me most days.  I found THIS that I really liked, I didn't watch the video but scrolled down to the text.

Here is a picture of a good mix.  Pizza with whole wheat crust, veggies, turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni, Cantaloupe, Salad and Chocolate donuts.  I think treats are fine in moderation and after you've had a good meal so that you are filling up on the good stuff, leaving little room for the treats.  This was a my go to pre-race supper for my summer races.


Sorry if I have bored you to death but this has been on my mind all day!

Do you notice a huge difference in how you feel depending on what you eat?

Do you struggle with making good choices and then beat yourself up about it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes and yes to answer your questions. I eat really well during the weeks and then always go crazy on the weekends. I always wake up Monday morning feeling like crud and I know it is because of my food choices. Everything in moderation right?

    And you probably don't weigh 90lbs soaking wet so I'm pretty sure one bad eating week isn't going to hurt you. :)

    ReplyDelete