Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Special Day For A Special Boy

Today I learned a few lessons about running.  Let me first start by saying that Jake decided that he didn't want to run with me this morning so I slept in, BIG MISTAKE, and I went about it on my own.  I decided that it would be safer for me to just run up and down the beach, there are plenty of people around and I waited until almost 8 a.m. to go out.  Because I am a freak on a leash and I didn't want to get my nice running shoes all sandy, I decided to go barefoot.  It seemed like a brilliant idea to me.  Barefoot running is all the rage right?!?  Well, it may have it's place but for my little piggies it is not on the sandy beach.  After about 1/2 mile I could start feeling blisters trying to pop out.  So I walked, and ran a little, back to the room.  I ended up running .85 miles on the beach.  I got my shoes and socks on and headed out on the road.  I ended up going 5 miles in 40 minutes with an average pace of 8.07 minute mile.  It wasn't pretty.  It was so blasted hot that I sucked down all of my 6 ounces of water and I started getting dizzy.  I just wanted to lay down and cry, I wasn't sure how close to home I was and I didn't want to finish.  I guess that's the beauty of running without a phone, you have no choice but to finish.  I felt awful!  I made it home, just barely though.  I have learned my lesson, no running barefoot on the sand and no going out that late in the day.  Tomorrow I will be sure to wake up at 5:30 so I can get my run in before it's 5000 degrees.  I am starting to get a little nervous about my running.  I keep telling myself that it's just the hot, humid weather but what if in reality I am just weaksauce?  What if I have lost all endurance?

Today is my little Kobe's 8th birthday.  He was born on June 2, 2003 at 7:15 a.m.  It was a c-section birth with a bit of a funny story attached.  After I was done getting poked, poked some more, and scrubbed up for the operation.  I lay on my back with a sheet in front of my face, so that I couldn't see what would soon be happening to me.  I looked up and I saw my reflection in the mirrored light that hung over my head.  I was numb mind you and I couldn't feel anything.  I said to Jake, "Am I naked?"  "Yes," he said.  "WHAT!!!  Cover me up!"  All I could see when I looked in that horrible light was a big old nasty blob of fat.  My legs, and of course my belly, looked HUGE.  I was mortified, hospital staff kept walking by smiling at me.  I just thought they were really nice.  I had no idea they were seeing EVERYTHING!  I was so upset that Jake and the nurses just let me lay there exposed to the world.  I made him cover me up real quick like.  As soon as they pulled that sweet little baby out of my belly and started putting me back together, I started to feel everything.  My blasted epidural, or whatever they give you with a c-section, had worn off.  It was the most painful thing I have EVER experienced.  I asked the Dr. if it was normal for me to be feeling what was going on and she said no and just kept working away.  By the time I got to my room I was in so much pain that I could hardly breathe.  The nurse gave me a shot of morphin and all was good.

Kobe weighted 6 lbs 1 ounce and was a mere 18 inches long. He was so cute and tiny, and still is!  He was such a sweet little baby and he only wanted his mommy.  We have always shared a closeness that I think only a mom and her baby boy can share.  It is a special bond and I just love the little dude to pieces.  Here are a few pictures of him as a baby.  I wasn't quite sure how to use our scanner so I just took pictures of pictures, sorry for my lack of techiness :)

Sometimes I wonder why on earth I quit having babies, Jake and I make pretty cute babies :)
This was one of my favorite times of day...bath and bedtime!
He was lucky to have such a sweet big sister
Oh, they are just so cute.  I just want to squish their cute little faces ;)

Now he is 8 years old and just as sweet as ever.  I won't bore you with story after story about him but this one story will show you just how sweet the child is.  When I went to meet with his teacher a few months back she showed me a picture that he had drawn for her.  She said that she had come to school really tired and was quite grumpy.  She was having a horrible day and she said that Kobe could tell.  He brought her a picture he had drawn of the two of them and wrote: Mrs. Kunzler ROCKS!  on it.  She said it made her day and she even got a bit teary telling me about it.  He is always worried about other peoples feelings, if I am ever sad he does all that he can to try to cheer me up.
I can't believe he is already 8 years old, man time flys!
This picture was taken on Kobe's 1st birthday and yes we were at Disneyland!  He wasn't much bigger then when he was born ;) 
As I sit here writing this blog I realize that this morning as I was near passing out and miserable it didn't compare to the pain I had to endure this same day 8 years ago.  Only today I don't have a tiny little baby to snuggle to make me feel all better.
Now I have a sweet little 8 year old to help me feel better!
P.S. do you think my glasses could be any bigger ;)


  1. Happy Birthday to Kobe! He such a cute kid and I love his name. :)

    Don't beat yourself up about a bad run girl, we all have them and they only make us stronger. You are an incredibly strong runner and I can't wait to see how you do at Utah Valley.

  2. Sweet little Kobe, I love the baby pics he is so blasted cute! Hope he's had a very happy birthday. I didn't know you had such a tramatic birth story, that is horrible.
    Sorry about your run, I'm sure its the heat and humidity cause your a freaking rockstar, and every other run you kick some trash! Can't wait to have my running buddy back :)

  3. Those pics are awesome!! Great post again Steph! You are a pro blogger already. Tell Kobe Happy Birthday from our family. Alyssa just melted when she saw the baby pics.